Desk showing Dollhouse how to be a cool shade of blue.
Okay, so it definitely didn't happen overnight. Here's what we did (I did take some WIP shots, but there are too many After photos to bother adding those too...):
- Cut holes in the desk for the taps, faucet and sink (taps and faucet from Trademe, enamel bowl/sink from our own cupboard).
I also made a few mini tea-towels and a kitchen cloth, just for fun
- Sanded the entire desk and drawers
- Repainted in the same colours as previous
- Cut out a back board, painted it, and attached shelves (we already had the shelves, but Zan sliced them in half so that they would be narrower)
- Added hooks and things
- Removed three drawers and replaced with the smaller drawer that was previously in the centre of the desk, so that it became the 'warmer drawer'
- Made an oven door (total mission, easily the hardest part of the whole reno, and you'll notice that it still doesn't have a handle yet - we ran out of time, and thankfully Eleanor was so distracted by all the pretty things adorning the kitchen, she still hasn't even noticed that there's an oven!)
- Added elements and dials
- Made a 'skirt' to cover the empty space in the centre of the kitchen (where we now store excess toys)
- Made some matching bunting
- Filled it with all the lovely kitchen things that we already had in our collection. The only new items (other than the kitchen, obviously) are some cute hand-knitted pieces of play food made by Frangipani, and the gorgeous coffee maker that was gifted by Stace
Does Eleanor like it?
Later: Kitchen = dismantled (we had to remove the taps until we can fix them permanently, they were just too tempting... Btw, any tips for removing gunk from gold plating?)
Eventually (with the promise of food) we coaxed her away to open the rest of her presents. "Oh cute" she said to each one, before rushing back to make us teas and coffees...
Because I've had a few requests for details since posting this - the pastel pots and pans as well as the pastel/polkadot tea set were all part of a larger set that we found at Countdown last Christmas - $40 - hopefully they will bring it out again this year so that you guys can find a set too! And in case any of you were wondering about the other items in our kitchen - the wooden baking set (gifted to us a few years back) is from Nature Baby; the little tea set with red polkadots was from an op shop, but I've seen complete sets of these on trademe; the red colander was part of a set that my mum found at Millys Kitchen (or a similar kitchen shop); the plain pastel tea/espresso cup set was a gifted by family in Australia - maybe from Ikea? And the red silicone utensil set was from KMart. All the other items were thrifted and gifted at various different times...