Thursday, May 17, 2012

DIY Friday: Leopard suits for kiddos


I was able to use most of the original hems for this 'restyle', which made things easier.  I chopped the bottom parts off the legs and stitched these together to make the pants, which meant I was able to keep the ribbing as it was.  I made the extra purchase of a pair of second-hand black track-suit pants, which turned out to be one of the most excellent decisions I have made in regards to this whole leopard-print-onesie debacle.  I was able to just cut the waistband of the track pants and sew it onto the new pants, with the addition of a leopard tail too.  I took the legs in a little at the sides, but made the pants in what I assume is about a size three.  So that she can wear them for longer.  yeah, I don't plan on either of us getting sick of this outfit anytime soon.


The jacket was pimp-squeaks too.  I cut the arms off the original onesie, trimmed off the excess fabric, and then reattached them so that they were the right length for my kid.  I rehemmed the jacket to a shorter length, made the hood a little smaller (I know, a hood, this onesie was every kind of perfect, other than in size), and added ears.  All up, one of the easiest projects ever.  So if you find yourself with a spare adult-sized onesie, and you're in need of a kid costume, you know what to do.


Garland's costume was pieced together with remnants, which is quite obvious when you look at it.  You don't even need to be close up.  Let's just say that he wouldn't convince any of the other jungle animals.  But ears and a tail, does an outfit really need anything else, for it to be the cutest thing in the world?  I think we all know that the answer to that is 'no'.


I did kind of battle with the machine for these outfits.  I wasn't loving sewing to be honest, which was maybe just a little bit because I was still feeling resentful about the whole not-having-a-onesie-of-my-own thing.  To make up for it I made the dolls house alphabet set.  Easy.  I did have to trim some of the letters so that they were all the same size, but to any of you who have the set and would like to make the baby version for your kid's dolls house, I recommend using washi tape.  It's easier to lift them off if you haven't aligned them perfectly straight.  That's my only suggestion.

7 comments:

  1. these are beautiful! well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-ha! Total adorableness! But I too am imagining all the wonderfully dorky family photos that could be taken had you a matching suit of your own...I'll let you know if i ever come across one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Love the matching tigers/jaguars really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could this BE more adorable? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH imagine if you could find one in your size, and one in Zan's size and you'd be a FAMILY of tigers/ leopards. OH MAN. I might have to make it my personal mission to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss these onesie/ leopard posts? This is all very hilarious and your kids look delish! Good luck with your adult tiger onesie quest!

    ReplyDelete