Saturday, July 14, 2012

DIY Vintage (style) Puzzles


Yesterday I unpacked a whole bunch of vintage childrens books that I'd set aside for craft projects.  I felt a brief moment of despair at the sheer quantity, unsure where to store and when I would use them etc.  My hands (filled with books) hovered over the To-The-Opshop pile, but eventually relented and stacked them in one of our bookshelves.  So last night while we snuggled up on the couch watching some Stand Up Comedy, I quietly hatched plans for some of those books.  Disclaimer: All books used in the making of these puzzles were in an unfit state to be read - pages missing/ripped/graffitied etc.


I won't insult your intelligence by bothering to write a tutorial for these DIY puzzles, though my photo essay is pretty much the equivalent of one anyway (sorry!).  I will say that if you can avoid it, don't use corrugated cardboard (though you probably already knew that...).


After I made this simple puzzle for my puzzle-mad two year old, I came up with a couple of easy variations.  I had some scraps of magnetic paper waiting for a project, so I made a fridge puzzle.


 And from the cover of a mostly destroyed (but favourite) board book, I made this Strip puzzle.  If you flip over the 11 piece puzzle, there are two smaller puzzles to complete.  Adding to the challenge (and enjoyment).


I'll be back soon with some other uses I found for my Broken Books collection.

12 comments:

  1. Love these! Where did you get magnetic paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The magnetic paper was left over from these magnets I had printed: http://verydarkhorse.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/magnetic-me.html. They were car door magnets from Vistaprint. But maybe try Trademe or a stationery store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to re-use those lovely old books. My 3 year old would LOVE them, especially the last one with the big boat! Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Eleanor can't get enough of puzzles at the moment, these have come in very handy!

      Delete
  4. It's so much easier to cut into damaged thrifted pieces.
    The puzzles are such a lovely idea.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It feels good to find a use for them too - though I have rather a lot to get through...

      Delete
  5. So great Stella - I have a bunch of those books too, will be making puzzles with the Munchkin soon! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Allana! It would be fun to do this project with the kiddos x

      Delete
  6. Awesome, I also have some books just waiting for some magic. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE these!! What a great idea! :)
    I'll be making some this week for sure! My daughter is big into puzzles right now & has outgrown all of hers, so this is perfect!
    Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor was running out of new ones too. It's a good way to keep them on their toes, once they've mastered these, you can make some even harder ones!

      Delete