Sunday, July 15, 2012

DIY Vintage Style Sketchbook


Originally I had the idea that you could make this with your child's artwork and handwrite their story (in their words) on the pages, for a personalised piece of bedtime reading.  You could design (together) a new cover and hand letter the title.  Kids love that stuff right?!  But Eleanor is not quite the right age for that sort of project yet, her illustrations, though intricate and wonderful (bit of mama bias right there!) are of the impressionistic, abstract variety.  I'm saving up that idea for later, but for now I thought I'd make her a quick and easy sketchbook, that we can slip into her bag and take with us when we go away on holiday.  Come to think of it, if I left one of these in the car it would make an excellent entertainment back up, for those times we are caught short.  A bored toddler can be a dangerous toddler, am I right?

I know, you are wondering why I even bothered writing a tutorial, but it was a fun excuse to play around on PicMonkey.  I still have plenty ideas for using up these books.  If you have a stash of your own to use up and want to share some ideas, leave a link here and I'll include it in my next post. x

DIY Vintage Style Puzzles here

6 comments:

  1. I think your tutorial is great and something I will certainly have a go at with my grandson in the holidays. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. picmonkey is great isn't it! love this idea as we go through a lot of paper in our house and it ends up in a big messy pile so this would be a great way to collate it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your picmonkey tutorials! They look really profesh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful tutorial. Great for using the book covers after using the pages for card making etc.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome idea! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this as well.. Thank you for sharing this idea. I think it would be a great gift idea for some of my friends children.

    ReplyDelete