Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DIY Pimp My Walnut Boat


A few weeks ago a friend handed me a container of walnut shells to make boats for Eleanor.  I do love me a walnut boat of the traditional variety, but this time I decided to up the ante a little.  I think The Borrowers would really like these boats, don't you?


I made a small fleet of boats, which these Paper Pocket Friends were quite pleased about.  The tiny bunting was a bit tricky to make, but I just used the wee tiny bunting I had printed a while back (you could just cut tiny squares of coloured paper), and dipped some thick wire coil in glue.  Like I said, it was tricky, but with much patience, I managed to make some teeny tiny boat flags.  It was totally worth the effort as far as I'm concerned, the boats with flags are def my favourites.


I imagine this would be a fun activity at a birthday party too.  For a nautical theme perhaps, or even a fairy theme (what fairy wouldn't want one of these boats?!).  The partygoers could race them once they finished decorating them, and then they would make cute take home favours.  Which practically makes these the moat ultimate party activity ever, now that I think about it.  Also, completely free (apart from basic supplies you probably already have in your craft cupboard).  You're welcome.


Other materials I used: glitter, lace tape, fabric, scrap book paper (both used to line the boats), kraft paper, twine, ribbon, and of course - paint.


Back tomorrow with more Blog Birthday goodness.  x

6 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to do this...we have been given a bag of walnut shells....These are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun! I look forward to E getting to the age where we can do this stuff together (without a big fight/tantrum)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, they are the BEST WALNUT BOATS EVER!!! Man you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are ridiculously cute. RIDICULOUSLY.

    ReplyDelete