Sunday, August 5, 2012

Eleanor's bag of tricks

AKA ways to keep a busy girl happy.  Our trip consists of: one four hour drive to AK, two-ish hours at the airport, a four hour plane ride, a couple of days in Brisbane, and then another long drive up to Hervey Bay (3-4 hours?  I can't remember).  That's a lot of time to keep a little girl (not to mention her baby bro) in good spirits. 


You wouldn't think that one little toddler size bag could hold so much!  She can carry it herself, but I doubt she will for long.  Especially not when she realises what's in it, though I intend to keep the contents secret from her as long as possible, and dole them out slowly when the need arises.  Oh yep.  I have tactics.


1. The sketchbook I made here.  2. A brand new box of crayons.  3. Some gifted puzzles I've had stashed away for awhile.  4. Some little toys I found in a sale bin at The Warehouse.  She loves animals, and I think these will go down well.  Plus, mini.  Which equals good.  5. Pipe cleaners.  6. Colour Wonder markers & pad (recommended here).  I also have a big pad of stickers somewhere, that I will add to her bag as soon as I find them...


Most of these snack types have multiples that I will put in our checked luggage.  I hope that customs don't freak out over it.  They're all packaged so hopefully not.  I'll pack fresh food for our car trip.  We'll have an in-flight meal (and movies, so I don't know what I'm even worried about, that's her sorted for the entire flight!) too, so probably we will only need these snacks to distract our way through the airport rigmarole.

1. Boxed raisins always a favourite.  2.  Mini rice crackers because as I've explained to you many times, mini good.  3. Dried fruit.  4. Raspberry flavoured water.  Not something I would ever buy normally (actually, of these treats, boxed raisins are the only regular fixture in our house), but the novelty might pay off at some point.  5. Peach fruit cup.  6. Fruit nuggets novelty. 7. Kids Vit C (because is it just me, or do kids always seem to get sick when you go on holiday? Plus these are the equivalent of lollies, so everyone's happy and distracted).  7. Fun containers to store food in.  Just to prolong the enjoyment.


As shown here.   Just a select few.
1. Lacing Cards.  2. Feed The Monster.  3. Shape Threading.  4. Popsicle Puzzle.  5. Pasta Beads have since realised that customs might veto these so will leave them at home... 


These are her current favourite bedtime stories, though they may be switched out before we go.
1. Peepo - Janet & Allan Ahlberg.  2. Guess How Much I Love You - Sue McBratney.  3. Green Eggs & Ham - Dr. Suess.  4. Harry & Hopper - Margaret Wild.  5. Each Peach Pear Plum - Janet & Allan Ahlberg.


Of course.  This guy/girl/bug.  Someone to cuddle in the tense moments, and for Ma and Pa to carry the rest of the time.


I found heaps of invaluable tips about traveling with toddlers over at A Lovely Life - which happens to be one lovely blog!


Tomorrow:  A cute Flavour of the Week, and the weekly wrap-up... x

19 comments:

  1. Awesome! I wish I had a bag of tricks just like that! P.S. I'm so gonna buy that owl bag for Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good mama! Do you have a wee hand mirror in your handbag? I found one of these great for entertaining Isla on a long car trip when she was about Garland's age. I went in sat in the back and held it for her and she just looked for AGES at herself. Maybe Eleanor could be the 'holder' and they could both be entertained?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - TasmaniaAugust 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM

    This brings back a lot of memories for me - traveling with my little girl and baby son. My kids are older teens now, but I tried to be inventive (strategic, cunning :) when it came to the long haul trips. All that said, your 'feed the monster' and pizza making packs are especially brilliant and I hope they give Eleanor a lot of joy. Looking forward to hearing about your trip - have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to it now that I'm a bit more prepared...

      Delete
  4. awesome! Where did you get those little containers from? they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my sis bought them back from Japan, gorg eh!

      Delete
  5. My goodness! That is going to be one big trip! No wonder you are so prepared!! Travelling is never quite the same with kids is it!?

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon! I get traumed just driving to AK... Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you're totally prepared! Great selection of goodies to keep her occupied! Are you going to wrap each busy bag in gift wrap/brown paper to add to the excitement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Cute idea but I think I'm a tad too lazy to do that :-P

      Delete
  7. lol funny how the containers are just as important and fun as the food eh?

    oh and mini toys = win!

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good luck out there! it'll be a blast...i reckon half of the provisions is psychological back up for us mama's...i never use all the stuff i pack in my sons travel bag but i like to know i have tricks to pull outta that bag! may your journey be all you need it to be! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like a whole lota fun! I bought our kids clipboards to press on for their pictures on our last trip up north worked great. Also I love those Jovi plastic crayons, they don't seem to make as much mess as normal crayons and work more like a coloured pencil. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh I love that clipboard idea, and thanks for the jovi tip.... Will keep those ideas in mind for next time x

      Delete
  10. I would be stoked with this bag myself!
    Have a safe and happy trip my dears, we'll miss you (even with your million scheduled posts!) xx

    ReplyDelete