I've been planning to make this quilt for so long now. It was supposed to be finished before Eleanor moved into her big bed, but in fact I have only just started it now. Rather than giving it to her last Christmas, I hope to finish it before her birthday this spring. So far so good, I think I'm almost halfway through the blocks already.
I made four blocks using Moda fabrics that were just too delicious for words. I added some Spotlight and some vintage fabric in there (plus some Kawaii fabric my Ma found in Sydney) too, and it all seemed a bit peachy perfect. I mean, look at this fabric:
But when I laid them out they all looked very single-toned. Bright, sun-happy (yep, coined), and kinda... I don't know, 'new' looking?? I couldn't exactly put my finger on it, but I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be I know, I know, I'm writing the novel version of why-I-chose-the-fabrics-I-chose-and-why-I-changed-my-mind-later. It's edge-of-your-seat stuff. You know how that happens? You save all your favourite pieces of fabric, and then it turns out a little bit - bland? You're probably thinking that they look anything but bland in these pics, but laid out together they really did. I don't understand it either :-P
Anyway, to get to my very boring point, I was then prompted to flick through my pile of previously favourite (until the Moda fabric turned up) fabric and put together some less matchy-matchy blocks. Although they are still actually quite matchy. It worked. They contrasted with the sun-happy blocks perfectly.
You'll see what I mean when it's finished.
Sidenote (a): These fabrics were left over after completing a couple of projects for the Moda Bake Shop. I consider myself very lucky to have them in my possession, buying fabric is not something on our list of priorities these days, but it is so nice to have some pieces of utterly beautiful *new* fabric to work with.
Sidenote (b): I tried my hardest to get the squares all matched up perfectly, but as you can see, I didn't always succeed. Still, I'm pretty happy with how almost-matched-up they are.
These two pieces of Layer Cake (from the MoMo 'Oh Deer' collection) may find their way (whole) into the quilt too. I'm going to have a couple of blocks that aren't patchwork. Haven't worked out all the details yet though...