Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Wardrobe Wednesday - Reconstructed Tee

I had one of those sleeps last night, where I was woken so many times that my dreams were kind of just thoughts with some colourful, dreamy details.  For instance, all morning I've had to remind myself that the theme for this week's Wardrobe Wednesday is not Bespoke Flamenco Clothing.  Um.  Yeah anyway.  Yesterday/last night I pulled apart and reconstructed this cheap K-Mart Tee ($9), basing the new design on another cheap K-Mart Tee that I bought recently (and LOOOVE - I'll show you soon).  It ended up completely different, but anyway.  I nicknamed it a 'boyfriend tee', based on the rolled up sleeves and the fact that if I paid Zan heaps of money, he might wear it for me.  Just kidding.  He wouldn't.


OMG I spent a good long time trying to get a picture of myself wearing this t-shirt.  You know, a picture that I didn't totally hate.  I'm not saying that I love these ones, but the others were... well... deleted.



I set out to write a tutorial for this, but you probably don't need one.  I think I'll just write a 'sort-of' one, because half of my brain is still in dreamland today, so I'm have no idea what's going on.  And no, three coffees have not helped.

So.  Take a tee, and a couple of pieces of knit fabric (I picked up these pieces in a Maryborough opshop for super cheap).  


Grab a quick-unpick and set aside some time to unpick this beast.  It took me awhile.  I removed the sleeves and the front panel.  I didn't like the V-neck, so I based my decision around that.  Whichever panel you have chosen to remove, pin it (or lazily place it) against one of your pieces of knit fabric, and cut out your new panel.


Do the same with your new sleeves.  Like so.  You could just hem your sleeves normally, but I ended up rolling mine and stitching them on that way.  It was a tiny bit messier, but also a tiny bit easier, and I like the look.


Hmm, as I write this my son is literally teaching himself to crawl.  Oh.  I thought he might do that cute just-sitting thing for a bit longer, but he's moved about a metre across our living room floor as I've penned this.  *Sigh*  Guess I should video it or something. 

Anyway, after you've cut out all your pieces, basically just reassemble them!  Easy!  I did the front panel first, joining the sides and the shoulders.  Then I added the sleeves.  And a pocket.  And reattached the neck thingy. I told you this was just a sort-of tutorial. 


I wore this tee with some K-Mart jeans I bought while we were in Auckland recently and some older K-Mart shoes from a few years back.  Hmm.  I do shop in other stores also.


The cute brooch was gifted to me by this sweet friend.  She frequently bestows amazing gifts upon me. I'm pretty lucky.

Joining in with Wardrobe Wednesday, hosted by CreateHopeInspire.

10 comments:

  1. cute as! you look very 'indie' in those last pics :) love the shoes!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I love having jeans to wear again, after living in dresses for the past few years...

      Delete
  2. Haha! I love how your thoughts have just spilled out into a blogpost. Regular occurrence here. Anyway you're cute!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah that's what sleep deprivation tends to do to me, haha! Maybe I should sleep less, it makes writing more fun...

      Delete
  3. cute - love the re-design I love the idea of re-designing but I'm a bit lazy so the things waiting just pile on up! and I'm totally into those shoes too! WW is over at my blog now and I'd love you to link in if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For some reason I thought you were starting it next week - whoops! Have linked up x

      Delete
    2. Great to have you over joining us! :o)

      Delete
  4. You, and your top, are ridiculously cute. Love it.
    (And I'm a huge Kmart fan too. So cheap, and so good!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute tee and love the shoes too! You are hilarious I love your writing style as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea - I have small random pieces of knit I just can't throw away which would be perfect for this project. Also - what Clare said.

    ReplyDelete