Sunday, November 25, 2012

Christmas Advent Ideas: Day 1 - Elf Stockings


Over the next few weeks I'm going to try and post an advent activity each day - for 24 days.  I thought I would start early in case you would like to use some of these ideas, and need a bit of time to gather supplies.  They are all super easy and most require very basic materials that you might already have, or can easily collect.  I had older children in mind for most of these activities, with the idea that you could guide them in their making - a bit of a crafty advent (with a small amount of foodie projects too).  

First up is a early Christmas gift I made for our Elf on the Shelf, Atticus Elf.  You could just as easily make a pair of Christmas stocking for another toy if you don't have an elf.



I think I can understand the Blythe doll thing now (other than those big, freaky heads) and why people love making outfits for them.  As soon as Atticus Elf arrived, I felt strongly compelled to make things for him.  These stockings popped into my head, and even though I didn't have the right fabric, I was determined to make them.

So I made my own fabric.


1.Washi tape strips on some white jersey knit fabric.


2. Red paint applied thickly to the fabric.


3. Washi removed and ta da!  Red candystripe jersey knit fabric, perfect for a pair of elf stockings.

It was a little bit trickier to make the actual pants than I thought it would be, due to not having a pattern or another pair to cut a pattern off.  I ended up cutting a couple of pieces and pinning them wrong side out to my elf's legs.   I measured his waist, and did a bunch of guess work when it came to the top part of the stockings.  They turned out fine.  Cute, even.



Not really a tutorial as such, but maybe it will inspire you to make some mini-sized festive clothing of your own.

1 comment:

  1. So cute!
    REALLY looking forward to the Elf Antics come 01st December

    ReplyDelete