Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Christmas books that I love.

To follow up from my Christmas movies list (and well timed with my previous post - a happy accident), here is a selection of my very favourite childrens Christmas books.  I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that spring to mind.  In no particular order:

1. The Jolly Christmas Postman - Allan Ahlberg

I am a ridiculously huge fan of Janet & Allan Ahlberg, and it all began with The Jolly Postman.  If you haven't seen these books, they are filled with envelopes containing actual letters/cards/books/etc.  Plus a sweet story and gorgeous illustrations.  Yup, no wonder Atticus Elf has a copy!

2. The Clown of God - Paola De Tomie


This is one that I remember from childhood.  It has something of the sadness and the beauty of Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince.  I can't put it into words, apart from - absolutely beautiful.

3. Christmas in Noisy Village - Astrid Lindgren

My nieces had a copy of this book, and it is so sweet.  I'm hoping to get E & G a copy sometime, maybe next Christmas.  Filled with sweet illustrations, it describes some of the simple joys of Christmastime & of childhood. 

4. Christmas in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder

I'm guessing you all already have some LIW on your bookshelf, total childhood classics!  I still think of the Christmas scenes from these books, whenever I'm feeling a bit of Christmas anticipation.  I think I know where I got the Christmas bug from.  I bought this picture book for my children this Christmas.  They're about to get bit by that bug!

5. Peter and Lotta's Christmas - Elsa Beskow

Another book with stunning illustrations.  This is Eleanor's Christmas book this year, and I'm looking forward to reading it and rereading it with her.  Total gorgeousness.

6. The Christmas Mouse - Toby Forward



We just got this one out of the library.  Inspired by Dickens' The Christmas Carol, this story has a bit of a darker tone to it, but is lovely nonetheless.  The message is very touching, and I thought that Eleanor responded to it pretty well.  Personally, I loved it.

7. Mog's Christmas - Judith Kerr


Garland's Christmas book this year.  Just cute, and perfect for a bouncy little baby such as mine.

8. Angelina's Christmas - Katherine Holabird

I'm a total Angelina fan.  It's those illustrations, I get totally sucked in by all the lovely details.  And is it just me, or are stories about mice like, really good!  Hmmm... Brambly Hedge springs to mind...

9. The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition - created by Carol V Aebersold

Not exactly a book, though it does come with one.  I'm excited about how much fun this little guy is going to make our Christmastime!  Also, I noticed these were muchos reduced in price.  Dang it, sometimes it really doesn't pay to be an early bird!

10. The Church Mice at Christmas - Graham Oakley

And best till last?  I think so!  Another mouse book, but this one is BRILLIANT!  My mum has this, and several other Church Mice books, which are fo' shizz amaze-balls.  Oh. Man.  I heart them so.  They are funny (for kids and adults alike), and the illustrations are SO GREAT!  Oh Humphrey and Arthur (church mousies, AKA mousies that live in a church), *slaps thighs* good times.

If you needs-wants (Eleanorism) some more recommendations, please go and check out my lovely friend Angela's Christmas books post.  That's what I'm about to go and do!  Also, feel free to leave your own recommendations.  We like those.

5 comments:

  1. I neeeeeed all of those books, well except Mog I just bought that for this christmas, but all your other recommendations look just my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the Jolly postman books, I'd forgotten about them, they had to be the most popular books at the school library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelina Ballerina was my ALL TIME favourite as a child. I don't think I would have ever started reading without her (and the babysitters club, should I admit to that?) I love the Jolly Postman as well. I shall have to check out your other suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want need most of these books
    We have a wee collection which I'll be linking I'm later in the week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! Am going to jot those down to increase our collection!

    ReplyDelete