Sunday, March 24, 2013

Kindy-at-home


So one of my goals for this year is to slow the pace of our lives and spend more meaningful time with my kids.  Namely this has meant dropping my lists of amazing projects that need.to.be.done.immediately, and finding simple activities that we can work on together.  I won't lie, this has been quite hard for me, and I'm still trying to find the balance between giving my children the best quality time that I can, while satisfying my own creative urges too.  It's a work in progress.


A few months ago we signed up to the correspondence kindergarten, and I really had no idea if it was going to work out for us or not.  Then, about a week ago, our first parcel arrived.  I knew immediately that we had found a perfect match.  Our first package contained powder paints, newsprint, brushes, library books, story CDs, games and lots of informationy stuff (that I haven't actually managed to read all the way through yet).


We got into the paints asap.  It took me a few goes to get the hang of the powder paints (I totally remember them from Primary school - even that smell...), but Eleanor didn't seem to mind the watery, gritty consistency ;-).  We don't have tons of paint at our house and usually reserve this activity for Playcentre, so she was pretty thrilled at the opportunity - and I was digging her art, big time.  She did end up painting herself blue by the end of the session, but anyway.


We have a few regular weekly activities/outings already, but it was so nice to dedicate a couple of mornings to kindy-at-home.  I even managed to sneak in some drawing time while we sat up at the table, Garland being perfectly occupied with an etch-a-sketch we've recently inherited.  I'm looking forward to our next package now...


6 comments:

  1. I had never heard of correspondance kindy - how cool. I love these photos - my boys get so excited about paints too because I hardly ever get them out!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never heard of it either, what a great idea! i'm reluctant with the whole painting at home too, it's so beyond messy, but since kindy told us it's all she wants to do we've started cracking out the paints once a week (on the lawn at this stage lol!), and i'm a big fan of parallel playing (my fave is the playdough) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cool! I've never heard of this before (I have so much to learn!). Are you still going to play centre?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a wonderful program. It must feel like Chrsitmas receiving the parcel of goodies in the mail.
    With so many pretty paintings you'll have plenty of one-of-a-kind wrapping for gift giving.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic concept! We love paint but the kids get it everywhere as kids do - looking forward to seeing what other things you receive and do!

    ReplyDelete