Monday, April 15, 2013

Alternate Reality

Even though I was blogging in my head for the entire weekend, I still don't really know where to start (or finish) now that I sit down.  For me, Bloggers Connecting was all about firsts.  Meeting a gigantic group of bloggers, attending a conference for the first time, speaking at a conference for the first time, visiting Christchurch, visiting the South Island, and a whole string of other, smaller firsts.  


Now that I'm rested and recovered, I sit here wondering if I made the most of it all, and hoping that I did.  I think I did.  There were aspects of the weekend that thoroughly overwhelmed me, and there were many more moments that I will keep in my lovely-memories folder for a very long time.  Above all else, there was so much genuine warmth, love and enthusiasm amongst the group of bloggers.  These really are an incredible group of women.

This lady I'ma huggin' - she's pretty special.

In the crazy haze that was Friday - Craft Market slash meetathousandbloggersfortheveryfirsttime, and supper at Miriam's - I was too possum-in-the-headlights to take a single photo (I will show you what I bought in a separate post).  These images are from Saturday, at The Make Cafe, which I was very pleased to be able to check out while I was down there.  It didn't disappoint, and neither did the charming company.


The bloggers I met were truly adorable.  Some were just exactly how I pictured them, and others were taller/shorter/more extroverted/less extroverted or in some other way just subtly different from the picture in my head.  It was kinda crazy.  I did have a couple of those ahhh-who-the-heck-are-you moments, but once the panic diminished, I was able to recall that yes, I have read every single one of your blogposts, and yes, I have also literally drawn your face.  True story (and that particular blogger is as lovely in real life, as the delightful things she creates).

Gorgeous pregnant ladies

If I had an ambition to speak to every blogger there, I certainly failed.  I did meet a whole lot of wonderful, new-to-me people, and then I dedicated the rest of my time to making meaningful connections with bloggers I've been following for years.  That was my highlight, right there.


Yesterday I spent the entire day feeling like I hadn't left CHCH.  There was just too much to unpack, I was home but my thoughts were entirely with Christchurch and that gigantic bunch of bloggers.  Today I feel like I am finally back home, and now these photos are imbued with the bittersweet of looking back.


It was kinda crazy making that trip, those activities, that many people and even pulling off a successful (hopefully) workshop, all with a busy toddler/baby hanging off my hip.  But we managed, and I already know that I would do it all again.  In a year.  When I'm fully, fully recovered ;-) And totally sans baby, just fyi.  He's cute, but he's staying home.


I do have more photos to share.  Some pics from Sunday, from Deb's house, and I'll share the contents of those goodie bags (and all the treats I bought myself while I was down there, just to make you all totes jelly).  I do want to say a heartfelt thank you to all the lovely bloggers, and in particular to Justine who ferried me everywhere and provided wonderful conversation while she did so - to Miriam who hosted me and a couple of preggers ladies, and is probably the funniest creature in the universe, and to Juliet, Sophie and Treena - whose hard work made all of this happen.  Amazing, ladies, for reals.

26 comments:

  1. Looks/sounds like Around the Table was great fun. It's fun to check out all of your links and read and see other perspectives too. What a fantastic weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stoked to get a mention and thoroughly thrilled with my description. I felt very privileged to get you 3 and Garland all to my self for so much of the weekend. You are a delight xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a gem Miriam! I'm so pleased I got to spend the weekend at your pad xx

      Delete
  3. it was fab. you are fab. and your wee boy is one cute wee pixie!
    so glad you could come, and very glad to meet you in person.

    ps. where did you get that gorgeous chevron dress???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, that chevron dress inspired me to buy some chevron fabric today for new cushion covers :)

      Delete
    2. Oh Stella! It was truly a pleasure! Every part of it! x

      Delete
    3. also wondering about said dress. it looked amazepants. I'm sure we'll find out...
      fyi my hubbie went to school with Justine. small place nz. Special family hers.

      Delete
    4. The dress is a (borrowed) Karen Walker. Pretty gorgeous eh?! And Smilie, Justine is LOVELY!!

      Delete
  4. Those later pictures make me want to eat pizza nom nom. I got a bit of a surprise to see the photo of a 'a little bit nervous' me. I feel like I missed out a bit by just going to the dinner so I plan to be at all of the next conference- with bells on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Would love to hang out properly next time x

      Delete
  5. Stella it was an absolute pleasure to meet you - from the moment you spoke "Hi Cat" I was blown away 'Stella KNOWS me she KNOWS who I am' ~ coz you know you ARE like this REALLY big FAMOUS blogger and you KNEW me and you took the time to SPEAK to me . . . totally start struck and humbled by your beautiful gorgeous personality and your inclusiveness of everyone . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^^ This is the reason for the title of this post, lol! Only on this one weekend, in CHCH, for a small handful of the bloggers who were there, have I ever been considered even REMOTELY famous! Don't be fooled Cat, I'm as famous as any of us! Was lovely to meet you xx

      Delete
  6. Share your sentiments completely. They did an amazing job x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stella, it was so lovely meeting you and being able to have so much hang out time together! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Talia! Loved our milo-in-the-evening moments! xx

      Delete
  8. Totally with you on leaving the baby at home next time, even though they were both pretty awesome! It was so lovely meeting you xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely to meet you Stella! p.s. your boy is super cute

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're awesome! Thank you for coming!!! I loved meeting you and hanging out with you and was super pleased to have had snuggles with your wee guy- he's gorgeous by the way!
    P.S. Totally with you on not knowing where to start writing about the weekend but mentally blogging all weekend aargh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome to meet you Stella :) Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really was SUCH a great weekend, and so lovely to meet you.. oh wait.. I think I'm talking about a different weekend. Hehe. Looks like you fullas had a tonne of fun. I'm totes coming to the next one (if it's a wee bit closer to home.. I hear whisper of Auckland venues? DO-EEEET). x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was awesome to meet you in person (fellow prize winner!) and boy did I want to steal away that little cutie pie of yours (but I think I hid it well!). Lovely pics too xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww I totally feel like I hardly got to say more than "hi" and "bye" to you :(
    Never mind.
    The workshop seemed to be well-received aye?
    Nobody booed us off the stage??
    Next time' Id LOVE to get to hang out with you more.

    ReplyDelete