Thursday, April 25, 2013

Moopah's (Feat. A Quilt By Deb)

I took these quilt photos at my Pop's place, due to the infrequency of sun-breaks, and a pre-planned visit. I think it was an inspired decision, because the quilt looks soooo at home amidst the wood and carvings and the tiny splashes of craft work.


My dad's mother was a crafter.  She had a house filled with knitted and crocheted and decoupaged items.  She belonged to that era of 50s housewives who took crafting to the next level.  It was always so excessively exciting arriving to stay at her house, and rifling through all her knitted dolls to find our favourites (Noddy), or visiting the loo specifically to check out the barbies-with-frilly-crocheted-skirts-that-cover-toilet-rolls (which remains the strangest of all craft projects, int he history of ever).


My own dad was a weaver once, and a carver forever.  His house is filled with carvings, and there the the occasional relic of those endeavors in weaving, and even one or two examples of his mother's crafting.  Definitely an appreciator of handmade, right here.


So this is where I took my new quilt-made-by-Deb, and the 50s prints, and the colours and design looked just so perfect against the rustic backdrop of Pa's house.  There is something irresistibly Retro-Nana about these fabrics which reminded us both of the same crafting lady, and I think my dad was just a teeeeeeeeeny tiiiiiiiiiny (a lot) envious of me for having such a clever and generous friend who gave me a quilt (still hard to get my head around).


Thank you Deb, thank you thank you thank you.  You are, quite honestly, one of the loveliest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and we will treasure this gift from you x

9 comments:

  1. I have a Deb-quilt on my bed right now. It brings me so much happiness. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the generosity of a quilt gift it's such an extravagant way to show love and Deb does it so well :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! Both the generous nature of Deb and your dad's house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An AMAZING gift
    Deb is so lovely I cherish her friendship and consider myself so blessed she calls me friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those doll loo paper holders! What a fabulous gift from Deb, she is such a kind lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, THAT's a fabulous quilt! I "follow" Deb and always love what she creates. Great setting for your photo op. I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! - awesome gift and great photo's and settings :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the title of this post, and OH MY I love the quilt. The fabrics are so you, I can see why she gifted it to you :) Beautiful 50's prints :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these photos...what a amazing place your papa has...the perfect setting you are right. The quilt is so gorgeous..my favorite style, what an incredible gift!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete