Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Handmade Series: Eszter Budal Nagy


Recently I was sent this absolutely stunning Steiner doll (Waldorf to those in the US) to review, and my heart totally melted the minute I opened the parcel.  When we were little, we had a small array of Steiner dolls, and I literally considered them to be my children.  There's something SO special about a Steiner doll, it's softness and simplicity.  They seem to stimulate a natural desire to want to mother/father (baby G was OB.SESSED with this doll when I showed him, E hasn't seen it yet, I intend to give it to her for her next birthday).  Actually, my ma (Steiner doll-maker herself) and I were totally smitten ourselves.  Like, crazy smitten.


As far as Steiner dolls go, I have never come across one quite like this.  Incredibly well made, and with the softest hair (perfect for plaiting) I have seen on a doll.  Her clothes are all handmade - stitched and knitted (she has some gingham bloomers underneath her dress too, cute!).


Beyond that, there's just something so special about this doll.  How sweet and earth-mama and just a little bit wild she is (I like that).  With those rosy red cheeks (I have temporarily named her Rose Red, which was the inspiration for the series of illustrations, in particular the bear ^) and soft brown eyes.  She is soft and cuddly and I know she will be a well-loved addition to our family.  Honestly, she is even cuter in real life than these photos depict.


Doll-maker Eszter is a stay at home mama based in Hungary, and creates all of her dolls from scratch.  Each doll seems to have it's own sweet personality, and none seem to last long in her shop before they are snapped up.  She currently has two listed, but she also makes custom dolls which is a totally exciting prospect.  We may just have to get a boy doll for Garland at some point.


We are thrilled with this doll, so much so that I couldn't do a plain old review for her.  She is just as sweet as her little forest friends are, and I think they are pretty sweet too.  


Find Eszter's Etsy shop here, and facebook page here.  Thank you so much Eszter, we feel so very lucky right now x

11 comments:

  1. it is gorgeous and your illustrations bring it to life too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so beautiful!! I can see E brushing and platting tha hair for years to come! I remember the book, Snow white and Rose red? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! The doll is beautiful, I can see why you are so smitten;) And I love the way you incorporated your lovely illustrations into the photos!
    Xo
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh she is really lovely and looks beautifully made with all the little details that make it so special (and this is coming from a doll maker too). I love it that she is sweet and a little bit wild - she will fit in nicely here in Kiwi land!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The squirrel, the blue bird the bunny! Oh my! I think they look like the perfect little friends for the beautiful doll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a beautiful doll... love the rosy cheeks! And your gorgeous illustrations x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, she's so lovely. And your woodland illustrations alongside her remind of the world I used to want to live in when I was a little girl. We are lucky enough to have an auntie that makes Steiner dolls, so both my big kids have one that looks just like them! (I am secretly hoping that Tristan will get one for his birthday this year too!) They are my absolute favourite of any of our toys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh that doll is amazing! Love the illustrations you have done too x

    ReplyDelete
  10. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! the birdie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your illustrations are fabulous Stella! Did you do them all with a tablet?

    ReplyDelete