Saturday, June 1, 2013

Making A List...



Oh man, the concept of a Mini-Break is like heaven right now!  We are stuck bang in the middle of a house-clean-and-de-clutter and now with the inescapable approach of winter chill, the thought of jumping into a treat-laden car and heading off for some much needed/desired pampering and touristing, well.  I am pretty amped. Though typically the kids and I have caught some winter bug, shortly before our departure day...  Boo.

It took us awhile, but eventually we narrowed down a list of dream activities from a vast selection of available options.  I was particularly keen on the idea of some spa treatments, as this is something I've never really done before.  And I'm turning 30 yo!  I've also never stayed in a hotel (it's true - country girl right here), so we put that on the list too...

Much of what we have planned is very much family friendly, and there was a ton of stuff that we tried, but just couldn't fit in (the Domain, Museum, Kelly Tarlton's, MOTAT, Butterfly Creek, Western Springs Park, various beaches and favourite cafes and shopping spots - to name but a few).  We want to hit a couple of shops that are unavailable to us up here, and enjoy some yummy food and indulgent pampering (helloooo one hour massage!).  But most importantly, we want to forget about the daily stress of running a small business, and have a super-fun and relaxing mini-break.

I also kinda want to convince y'all that aren't convinced, that Auckland is a lovely place!  It really is!  Many are put off by the traffic and by how big and sprawling it is (it can be hard to find the best spots, unless you know exactly where to look), but we love Auckland and for those who are maybe considering a trip there (or for some work-related reason have to visit), we hope to show you a small selection of our favourite Auckland spots (trust me, there are maaaaaaany more gorgeous spots that we won't have time to share).   It's been awhile since I last hit the streets of Auckland, and I'm excited guys!

9 comments:

  1. You're talking to me right? I will follow with interest! XOXOX
    (1 hour massage HEAVEN!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing -- "You're talking to Clare, right?" Hahaha. But yeah, I don't think Clare's the only one who has expressed similar sentiments (and I don't think she was particularly scathing, just not...fussed?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww no guys! Not directed at Clare at all!! I was planning a 'we heart Auckland' post already, because I know that TONS of kiwis really don't love the place (sometimes for no other reason than 'it's big' and 'it has traffic'). Having lived in several towns south of AK, I know that Auckland phobia' is pretty norm, I've just never been particularly sure why - but I'm DETERMINED to convince folks that AK is grand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what you get up to! Auckland isn't all that bad really :) Some lovely people live in Auckland! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be so funny to see y'all walk past on the street (on one of the rare moments we are in 'town' too)...since I have only seen you on screen! It would so very cool to say hi for reals. Savemart can be super good value for an indulgent shop and there's one just round the corner from Dressmart in Onehunga...just sayin! But then Auckland used to be your 'hood and I am such a westie these days you probably know it better than me... Enjoy... And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a great plan! no doubt you'll have a wonderful trip - and encounter lots of lovely Aucklanders ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your illustration with photos at the top of this
    I've been to Auckland once - about 10 years ago - I'd love to go back

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Happy 30th Birthday! Love Auckland!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I strongly dislike Auckland, so I promise to pay good attention : ) Also, I'm with clare - an hour long massage sounds DIVINE.

    ReplyDelete