Sunday, June 30, 2013

Matariki Crafting/The Hottie Project/Crafting with the Kiddo*

*AKA three birds with one sewing sesh.

Yesterday I sat down to do some sewing, seizing a moment when Zan had the kids occupied and I could quickly whip up a couple of hottie covers for the Hottie Project.  Within seconds Eleanor was hovering at my elbow asking me the same questions over and over and over and over, "what are you making?  Can I help?  What is it?  Who is it for?  Can I help?  What is it?"


I found myself feeling immensely irritated.  Sewing isn't something I absolutely love doing, and I tend to sew quickly in order that I may move on to the next project asap.  Hinderance is generally undesirable.  And then somehow through my annoyance, I realised that things would go a lot more smoothly if I just got over my impatience and allowed her to help.  And you know what?  It was actually lovely, and didn't slow the process at all.  She wound the sewing wheel while I gave her simple instructions.  Stop.  Go.  Go faster.   And I had two hands left to guide my sewing.


The result was two hottie covers for the hottie project, one happy girl (who was super excited to model her handiwork, despite feeling quite sad about a bumped knee), and a satisfied mama.  Appropriately she is modeling her very adorable Big Little jacket too!  I must remember this next time I break out the sewing machine...

Read about The Hottie Project here.
Join in with the Matariki Crafting link up here (some awesome prizes to be won!).
Link up your Becoming The Mama I Want To Be posts here.

7 comments:

  1. That lip in the second picture!! Gorgeous!
    Love the hottie covers and pretty neat that you found some patience to let a wee helper assist - I'm dreadful at this. I should probably make more of an effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hotties Stella! I'm looking forward to the day when my little girl is old enough to give me a hand with crafting :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh little sad face!:( hotties came out very sweet (triple love the doilies!! You know I'm a doily girl;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh good for you Stella - it's so hard isn't it to let go of our expectations and embrace the 'assistance' instead of feeling annoyed about the interference. Love, love, love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you've just given me a perfect idea for what the year 7 & 8s I am doing hottie covers with can use on the front!!! Doilies, awesome! Oh and that face in the second picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was me on Sunday arvo, wanting to quickly bake something for the school lunches, wanting just to get it done with no helpers. But when I did let them help, it killed two birds with one stone, I got the baking done and they were occupied at the same time and we all had fun! It's a good reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my site
    thus i came to go back the choose?.I am attempting to find things to enhance my web site!I
    guess its good enough to use some of your ideas!!

    Feel free to visit my page ... electrician in newcastle

    ReplyDelete