Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Recipes For Play by Rachel Sumner


We were lucky enough to be sent this truly wonderful book in the mail, and it has made for some really fun play sessions so far!  Rachel Sumner (with wonderful photos by her sister Ruth Mitchener) has put together this really handy book packed with activities for you and your toddler.  Okay, mostly for your toddler :-P but I enjoyed them too.


I knew straight off that I was going to love this book.  It fits perfectly with my ambitions of kindy-at-home sessions with my guys.  I was totally thrilled with the quantity and quality of activities we found, and how easy and effective they were.  The instructions were super clear, and for most of the recipes, we already had the ingredients sitting in our pantry.  


We dived straight in and picked out a couple of recipes to try, and on my next store visit I stocked up on a few missing ingredients so that we can try some of the others.  A couple require some forward planning so we are waiting patiently to do those, and others are just so plain cool, I cannot wait to get started on them!  We even pulled the book out when we were visiting my dad, and built fairy huts while we were there.


I can see we will be using these ideas again and again, and this book may prove to save our sanity on many a rainy day (though there are lots of summery ideas too).  There is a really diverse range of ideas, some with a science element, and others that foster imagination and creativity.  Not to mention a huge dollop of super fun, sensory type activities.  I am currently preparing items for a pretty exciting activity, will be sure to show you pics!


If you have young children (or grandchildren), I hope you get a chance to have a look at this little beauty.  So far it has proved worth it's weight in gold.


Review copy provided by Penguin NZ via Booksellers NZ.  Penguin NZ facebook page here x

6 comments:

  1. Arrggh! She wrote the book before I could : ) It looks fab, lucky you. I loove the fairy tee pee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great book, I love the syringe idea for baking soda/vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, I like the look of this! LOVE the fairy hut x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Stella - I hope your kids enjoy the activities for weeks to come too. I liked the look of those creepy jelly eggs myself. Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun!! I also love the fairy hut, and the tapey racetrack:)
    Looks like a wonderful book!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this book is going on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete