Wednesday, July 3, 2013

An Unexpected Adventure


Even though it's been extremely cold over the last few weeks, there have been a couple of beautiful sunny days too.  We do our best to seize the moment and all that, but we still often tend to stick around at home too.  Like many, I'm a total homebody at this time of the year.


On this particular sunny day we were heading home after an outing, and Eleanor took it into her head to visit the beach.  I was feeling pretty tired, G-Bear was asleep, and honestly it was pretty much the last thing I felt like doing.  It was sunny, but it was heading into late afternoon, and I had my mind pretty set on going home and having a cup of tea.  


Well, three year olds are pretty persistent, and no matter how many times I said no she kept on making the same request.  And then I just kinda realised that I had no actual reason not to grant her this pretty simple wish.  



Does anyone else have that default 'no' setting?  I should've learnt from this experience, but I get the feeling this is one of those lifelong type lessons.  It was my Jim Carrey moment I guess, and I realised that not only was it easy enough to say yes, it was actually better for all of us that I did (again, did I not learn this already?).



The truth is, I love spontaneous adventures.  They are right up there at the top of my list of favourite things to do.  Particularly if we are duo-parenting :-).  But I'm not always all that comfortable at the beach unless I've got some purpose there, and with a sleeping baby in the car, all I could really do was sit.  Which funnily enough, was kinda exactly what I needed to do.


Eleanor was very much in her element, and even got bitten by a really really tiny snake (it must've pre.tty small indeed, we couldn't even find it again...).  We didn't stay long, but long enough to make a little girl feel very happy, and a tired and tense mama feel a little more relaxed.  Huzzah.  

7 comments:

  1. Funny how you have that default "no" setting when you're feeling a little jaded. E is always wanting to stop and sit on a particular park bench and I'm always saying no - the other day I just let her go and it was the easiest thing really. Five minutes and she was done and we were both happier for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beach has that special power too - the power to put all those horrible housework tasks, work demands, arguments, life demands right into the perspective they deserve. Beautiful pics as always Stella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! what joy in those photos. I love impromptu excursions. This one looks particularly lovely indeed. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning pics as always. I'm trying hard to say "yes" more often too. I bundled the kids out the door for a bike ride on the weekend, all I wanted to do was sit on the couch, but it WAS just what we needed really. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, a SNAKE?? what??
    Also, your photography is amazing!! (amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for you girl - inspiring stuff xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are STUNNING. Love how you've totally captured the feel (I must get onto practicing my manual photo skeeeels). In another news, almost the exact same thing happened last week with my daughter and I. Wouldn't normally do this but here is our adventure if you're interested? http://moo.mon.co.nz/ And I too am learning (still!) how to embrace these moments and not squash them with a "No" for no reason at all. Love your work :)

    ReplyDelete