Thursday, August 15, 2013

Curvy Style Friday - starring Hilda (with some thoughts on body image)

Meet Hilda.


Isn't she amazing?  A curvy, red-head babe, straight from the imagination of Duane Bryers and world renowned pin up girl of the 60s and 70s.  She is so much fun; the kind of nature loving, book-reading, free-spirited lady that I aspire to be.  And she's a curvy babe to boot.   


My discovery of Hilda (thanks to a link-share between my sisters and me) reminded me of why I decided to put my in-front-of-camera phobias aside, and start a regular 'Curvy Style' feature on my blog.  I must admit, I am secretly quite chuffed that these posts get a bunch more hits than most others.  It's not an ego thing at all, nor do I believe I'm the styliest lady in town.  I absolutely don't, in fact, I really feel that I'm at the early stages of exploring my sense of style, and as with most of us, I certainly don't have the funds to create my dream wardrobe.


What I do love is that my readers are perfectly okay with seeing curvy girls flaunting their bods.  More than this, the encouraging words you have shared in the comments have done their bit to build a little self-confidence here and there.  And not just for me either, for women in general.  Because guys, when we talk positive about our bodies, it has such a massive roll-on effect!  Just as comments like "oh, I hate my knees/arms/nose/etc" can cause others to wonder whether their own knees are acceptable (according to some very narrow definition of what a female figure should look like), so too does positive body commentary have the ability to empower women everywhere to embrace and love their own hot bods.

All images sourced from Toil Girls

That's what it's all about people!  So please-pretty-please-PLEASE, I implore you from the very bottom of my heart; if you are dissatisfied with some aspect of your body, it is time to put those inaccurate perceptions aside, and by no means allow them infect other women with similar feelings of body-inadequacy.  We've all been guilty of a little self depreciation, but just look at Hilda.  I have never seen a gal in any shape or size looking so at home in her own body, that she would frolic through the countryside in a bikini made out of flowers.  Let Hilda be our positive-body-image icon.  She's def mine.

Love you all, you beautiful things you x

Final note:  That's not to say that eating well and getting some fitness happening is not a good option.  Health first, of course.  But just love yourself from start to finish kay? x

15 comments:

  1. Love this, love you, love me, love Hilda!! What a hottie!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooo - Hilda's such a babe! Love this post. L.O.V.E it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. super Hottie i LOVE these illustrations! perfect for a little girls room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! Someone once said to me "just because someone doesn't share your problems, doesn't mean they don't have any of their own". We all have bits we don't like ... would you believe some of us WANT more curves?! I love your curvy style posts. I love seeing a woman embracing who she is and walking a journey to find her own style. No fads, no trying to be someone she's not ... I love it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post. I so agree about the way we talk and it's influence on other people too. xx let's spread the joy in our bodies a little more aye?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! Hilda looks like SO much fun:) This one really made me smile. what a lovely post!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Hilda!!! i LOVE you!!! She's fab Stella, so glad you shared her (and your great thoughts about body image); Hilda is now my role model. (Shared this on G+

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are spot on with this line of thought, about accepting our bodies as they are, appreciating them and enjoying being in our own skin; and I applaud your decision to post more photos of you, and to stop being afraid. I can relate to the process and how hard it can be. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the kind of post I needed today. I wouldn't class myself as curvy, but I still have plenty of body hang ups and I think it is time I start to appreciate my body instead of lamenting all the wobbly bits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh Hilda is awesome!
    I enjoy you're curvy Friday posts....and I love to see all woman embrace their bodies, its an inspiration for me to do the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is fab! I have become much more at ease with my body after having my kids - I think it was mostly because of feeling so blessed to have a body that could produce children at all... I truly believe we are all beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pic of Hilda sweeping all the crumbs under the rug... that's my kind of housecleaning xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilda is so cute!! And I love your curvy style posts too... very inspirational you are.

    ReplyDelete