Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bubba Book Club

Thought I'd start a book club for bubbas, so that we can share some of our favourite titles with each other.  Sound fun?  Hope so.  No rules, just share some faves, and leave a link in the comments if you do.  I'm always on the lookout for good recommendations, and more than happy to share some of our faves.

This weeks books:


My Farm by Alison Lester - We were gifted this gem by my MIL and I read it to Eleanor last night.  Oh my.  This kind of book would have had me swooning when I was little.  The country life, the games, the adventures.  I get the feeling this book is based on Lester's own childhood, but I'm too lazy to research that.  Very sweet anyway, and I look forward to reading it more slowly with Eleanor next time, and having a good close look at the cute illustrations.


Elmer's Opposites by David McKee - or any Elmer story really.  Sometime at the end of the day, I find myself excessively grateful for a short bedtime story.  Enter: Elmer.  Short, simple, and I personally love the illustrations.  Patchwork elephant?  What isn't there to love about that?


My Book of Little House Paper Dolls  - Cutest paper dolls ever.  We had this in our collection when we were younger, and now Eleanor plays with these dolls when we visit my mum.  I really love Garth William's illustrations, so soft and sweet and innocent.


Usborne Children's Cookbook - I have this on my wishlist for Eleanor's birthday/Christmas.  It has sweet illustrated recipes aimed at young 'uns.  Such a fun way to encourage a love of cooking.  Pretty sure Rosa had this book when we were little.


The Family From One End Street by Eve Garnett - Not really a bubba book, but oh man, I LOOOOOVED these books when I was little, and super can't wait to read them to my guys one day.  A big sprawling noisy dirty family with absolutely no money, but lots of love.  And adventures in the countryside.  There was much for me to relate to as a child, and from memory these are humorous too (but maybe kiddo humour, just fyi).

Got some faves?  Share them!

11 comments:

  1. Great idea Stella. The Dirty Bertie series, Hairy Maclary and Richard Scarry books are popular in our house at the moment. Elaina xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours love HM and Rs too! Haven't tried the Dirty Bertie books yet x

      Delete
  2. Great recommendations! love the sound of the first on and am a fan of the usborne children's cook book! Will try to share some of ours if I get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these recommendations! Being a childrens'book LOVER I'm always keen to hear about good ones out there! I've bookmarked this post for later :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have SO many favs but Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins and Where is the Green Sheep by Mem Fox are both fantastic :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to get hold of these! You have the BEST recommendations for kiddo books x

      Delete
  5. My son is loving Richard Scarry, the Dinosaur vs series and anything to do with trucks. My 13 month old is enjoying Spot lift-the flap books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun, here's ours- I'll be checking back here before we go to the library next : )
    http://beckypiesky.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/our-favourite-books-at-moment.html

    ReplyDelete