Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Bubba Book Club

This week for Bubba Book Club I thought it would be perfect to share these two sweet books via Gecko Press.  If you haven't come across Gecko Press yet, they are a beautiful publishing house that have the. best kids books.


Toucan Can! by Juliette MacIver & Sarah Davis, seriously, what a gem!  I immediately fell for the cover of this book, and loved it more and more with every page turned.  The text has such a great rhythm which means it's truly fun to read aloud (even the tongue-twisting bits).  There's something a little unexpected about the rhyming, which I LOVE.  I wish more children's books surprised me in such a delightful way.


The illustrations are joyful and sweet, with a wonderful use of negative space.  The characterizations are bang on, and there's such a sense of wild abandonment and fun throughout the book.  This escalates as the story reaches a close, until the pages become a riot of colour and cuteness.  Those birds, oh oh. 


I have to admit, I'm sneakily saving this book to give to Eleanor on her birthday, so the kids haven't seen it yet, but judging by their current list of criteria (rhyming story, amaze illustrations, animal characters) this is going to be such an instant hit with both of them.  Read another review of this beautiful book over at Create Hope Inspire.


Gecko Press also sent me a review copy of 100 People by Masayuki Sebe.  Yuss!!!  This book is a total find!  I don't know about you, but we are a tad obsessed with these 'Find The...' type books.  Is there a genre for this?  If there is, it's our favourite.  Eleanor is super duper obsessed with finding all the hidden items, and she's actually pretty great at it.  Better than me anyway.


100 People has a lot of appeal for us.  I'm totally digging the quirky illustrations for a start.  They open up heaps of room for discussion about a wealth of different things, and make it super easy to create new 'Find The...' games.  Each page has a little box with ten characters you need to find as a starting point.  The speech bubbles then extend the game, and you can spend a great deal of time on each page discussing all sorts of additional observations.


I was pretty thrilled to reach the Christmas page as I am rather a fan of Christmas, and look forward to including this book in our Christmas Book Advent.

Overall, two fun and beautiful books that have been added to our book collection with so much pleasure.  Check out the Gecko website for other new releases as these guys only print the very best of the best, including a new Joy Cowley title - eeee! x

These books were sent to me as review copies, but all opinions expressed are my own x

3 comments:

  1. Definitely getting the Christmas book! I love books that allow children to interact and not just listen to a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and information. We joined a kids book club when our son was just 6 months old, and have read at least 30 minutes for him every single day, and clearly observe how far ahead of others he is now, so I highly recommend getting started as soon as possible. Other parents have found A New Book Every Month a great place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this post b/c i have just compared one children's book and my own imagination as a artist, and I paint with a lot of negative space, as you mentioned! (please have a look, I only posted it yesterday)
    Liv x

    ReplyDelete