Thursday, October 31, 2013

Four!

Well, we have just finished celebrating our four-years-of-this-parenting-lark anniversary, with a Pink Flamingo birthday party.  A wee while back I had anticipated having at least one final year of full-control-of-party-decision-making, but sometime during the past few weeks I realised that it would be a lot easier and much more fun to collaborate with my Miss.  


We sat down and made a list which consisted of the following: Pink, Chimpunk Cake, cucumber, raisins, jelly-beans and balloons.  There didn't leave me with a ton to work with so I had to throw in a couple of my own ideas...


Other than cucumber (we made do with beetroot - another fave) we did manage to tick all the boxes, and simultaneously decorate this party on the smallest of budgets (big fat zero).  I raided my craft room for any items of pink, and spent an evening making party things.  Like wall dots (technically Zan made these, but whatevs), a kinda weird Flamingo wall hanging thing, raisin box wrappers, and my personal favourite, handmade Pink Flamingo straws.  I hunted everywhere to buy the real deal, but everyone was out of stock.  So I used these pink paper straws I bought on sale from Pop Roc Parties, and cut out these Flamingos from some postcards I printed a few years ago, featuring a design from Creature Comforts blog.


Our party fare was a little bit random.  Vege stacks (these were far more popular than anticipated), pink marbled scones, pink trifle, raisins, and some funny looking lamington Flamingos that I hastily put together the night before.  Guests added their own pink dishes - pikelets with pink cream, cakepops, fruit salad and beetroot hummus.  We sipped on pink soda water which looked slightly better than it tasted, but no one seemed to mind.  And Eleanor got her Pink Chimpunk cake.  Relief.


The easiest of the easiest.  Some fabric from IKEA, kindly brought over in a suitcase by a bestie.  Some pre-used pink pom-poms, flowers and lanterns.  Bunting.  Easy.  We kept games simple and listened to The Chipmunks.  Yep.  Four year olds know where it's at.

I did take a moment or two to feel mighty proud of my four year old who was a super sweet host.  Yeah, mama-pride.  Gonna revel in it.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a very cute and special occasion - well done on the decorations and catering and on your sweet hostess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I love that you took her ideas and made them AMAZING. Those straws are works of art.
    And oh yeah, life and parties get so much more complicated once kids starting having their own ideas...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, so sweet and put together with so much love. My fave are the flamingo lamingtons- so clever ( and yum I bet) and where did you get the flamingo on your wall ? So gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's gorgeous - those flamingo lamingtons - awesome!! you really are so creative lady x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do wish you were my mama! love this party. I think I might have to talk to you next time I do a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're the coolest. that is all.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable party!! So cute, what a lovely Mum you are : ) I love the flamingos!
    xx

    ReplyDelete