Sunday, April 27, 2014

On My Nightstand - Mar/April

On My Nightstand is going to be a regular feature this year, as I read my way through 40 books in 12 months (yusssss!!!!  Best challenge everrrrrrr!!!).  These are not typical reviews, just some short (and sometimes longer) responses to the books that end up on my nightstand.  So far - 16/40 books read.


This was a pretty good read, though I just didn't really feel too much either way.  I saw the ending coming from a mile off, actually before I even opened the book (thanks to comparisons to other novels).  The characters were fine, but relied too much on stereotypes, and felt like they were less interesting versions of book characters I've met elsewhere.  But it was an easy read, and pretty enjoyable for the most part.  A good book to take on holiday with you, I'd say.



I feel a little conflicted about this one.  I didn't actually enjoy reading it, largely because the precocious teenage narrator got on my nerves quite a bit.  It's hard to explain why, but the novel itself felt a little self-conscious, however this book has stuck with me some.  One of those stories you kinda can't get out of your head.  It's cleverly constructed, and the mystery is well drawn, I was totes surprised by the ending.  If I'm gonna recommend this one, I think it's for the Catcher in the Rye fans, and maybe more appropriately a teen read than some other YA novels.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy - Laini Taylor

The first two were rereads for me (sooo good!  Book 2 especially).

Dreams of Gods and Monsters - Laini Taylor


Oh wow.  I can't even...  DoGaM started out by piecing together events that lead to Book 2's epilogue, and simultaneously weaving some new threads into the story.  I liked the new threads.  If there's one thing Taylor excels at (and trust me, it's not the only thing), it's creating authentic, compelling characters.  Other characters were  further developed in this final installment, and yuss!  So great!  A romantic subplot between two such characters was one of my fave aspects of DoGaM.  You'll find out.  I'll keep it brief, but must just say - Laini Taylor can craft some seriously beautiful, poignant story moments.  Certain turn of phrases were sooo... I literally had to close the book at times and just absorb what I'd read.  And then go back and read it again.  Same goes for the comedy moments.  Gold.

List update (and still some room for recommendations):

YA novels
Forest Born - Shannon Hale
Cinder - Marissa Meyer
If I Stay - Gayle Forman
The Fault In Our Stars - John Green (read)

Contemporary/Adult lit

NZ fiction
Spark - Rachel Craw

Classics

Non-Fiction
Is It Just Me? - Miranda Hart
I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai

2 comments:

  1. I like how you have them all chosen already. I'll recommend (because I can't wait to read it myself) a new YA fiction that is going to be a trilogy coming out in July. It's by a NZ author (who I know and adore) and it is her first novel. Here's some more info http://www.walkerbooks.com.au/Books/Spark-9781922179623

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh thanks for the recommendation! That book looks great! Adding it...

      Delete