Thursday, September 4, 2014

My blogging process...

Weeks ago, one of my favourite blogging ladies, Miriam of Create Hope Inspire (for those who haven't met Miriam in person, I hope you get the chance someday - she is brilliant), tagged me in the 'my process' blog-hop.  She gave me this byline:

''I think beginning work, and making other creative transitions are changing the landscape of how she blogs too and I'm interested in knowing her thoughts on it."

So I will do my bestest to address that for her :-)

1. What am I working on?



I have a couple of posts lined up.  There's the final in a short series about party planning going up soon, as well as a bunch of children's book reviews.  Otherwise most of my posts are quite unplanned.    Content aside, I often think about or work on streamlining my blog.  This is sometimes an exceeeeeedingly frustrating process for me, but I feel the same towards my blog as I do my house, so I do try to make sure that everything is working and looking nice around here.

Outside of blogging I am working on another manuscript edit!  Yuss and not yuss!  This is such a fun and challenging process.  There's nothing more satisfying that taking an awkward piece of text and making it work (which often just means cutting it).  It's also exhausting sometimes, and overwhelming, with alllllll that decision-making.

2. How does my work differ from others in the genre?

Hmm, tough question.  I don't particularly think of this as a genre blog, so I'm not sure who/what to compare against...  Er...

I think the best things about blogs is that they are all essentially different.  One way or another the author's personality filters through (and that is how blogging kindred spirits are found!).  So I think my 'work' differs from others, because I am coming at things from my own angle (as we all are), even if I'm posting content that might be similar to that found elsewhere.  Plus, I'm weird, so there's that.

3. Why do I write what I do?



What I write about has really changed over time.  For the past year I've consciously worked on filtering my posts a little more, which means that I have quite a few abandoned thought-streams sitting in my drafts folder (for various reasons relating to privacy/vulnerability/professionalism and so on).  I do try not to go too deep in this blog-space, I've done so before and didn't really like how I felt afterwards.  Some bloggers are skilled at this, but it didn't work for me.

So instead I write about things that I love!  Really, I just love blogging!  I love sharing all the nerdy/quirky/OTT stuff that floats my boat.  I try to share topics, thoughts, photographs that will interest and entertain readers, but for the most part I really just blog for myself.  This is especially true now that we have a more complex work/family/business life to balance.  If I am going to use my (precious) free minutes blogging, it's essential that I enjoy the entire process.

4.  How does my writing process work?



Often I have an idea of what I'd like to share on my blog, so I have some vague plan when I start taking photos.  Almost always this is morphed into something pretty different once I upload photos and sit down to write.  Sometimes better, often worse :-P.  I rarely start a post without photos, regardless of whether the photos or the thoughts are leading.  There are exceptions, like THIS post - where I'm forced to drag something out of my archives to fill the white spaces.

Does that answer that question?  Erm.  So my process is to... not... really... have a process.  Yeah.  I'm basically not very organised, and though (very) occasionally I SUPER AM, with idea lists, posts written and scheduled and even a sponsor or two in my sidebar, mostly I am quiiiite lazy about all that stuff and just come at it in a pretty haphazard way.

Okay, that was exhausting.  Please forgive me for overuse of what I call, 'The Slash', eeeehehehe (yeah, I've been watching too much Miranda).   And now I'm going to tag some peeps, who are free to participate or not...  I am curious to see what answers Megan of Mousehouse, Louana of NZ Green Buttons, and Bianca of Goodnight Little Spoon would give to these questions... Any takers?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for calling me brilliant. The feeling is very mutual! I like that you know how person you feel comfortable with, it does feel right for your blog. I always admire how pretty everything is on your blog - it's like you have an extra sense for beauty in little collections and that translates into your blog for me too xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading about your inner/outer workings :) Always love visiting your blog - and it always looks nice too ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your illustrated headers! Especially the latest addition to the collection. Thanks for the nomination, I'll have to get my thinking cap on xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the tag Stella! I love your work and it was great to read about your process and feelings about blogging. I'll get onto my post asap!

    ReplyDelete