Friday, December 12, 2014

On My Nightstand - Nov/Dec

So, two weeks and seven books to go.  I'm doubtful.  In other news, my review lengths shrink as we approach end-of-year, so this will be brief - don't all get too excited.

'Cinder' - Marissa Meyer


Oooh, this book was fun!  I wasn't entirely sold by the premise, but the reviews were glowing, and I just can't go past an Angela recommendation.  'Cinder' was such a refreshing book!  It had all the necessary elements for a great YA read: intrigue, baddies, evil plotting, genuinely likeable characters, romance, cool setting.  #fistpump.

Meyer's writing is smooth and natural.  Nothing feels forced, and it's fun waiting for pieces of the original Cinderella to fall into place.  YA escapism at it's best.

'Scarlet' - Marissa Meyer


Even more fun than 'Cinder'!  I like both leads, and was glad that Cinder co-starred in this one.  The new characters were fully fleshed and definitely added some fun.  And also, yaaaaaay for spaceships!  I mean... /keep cool, Stell/... whatevs.  Spaceships.

'We Were Liars' - E. Lockhart


Okay, I have to admit that I had some strong reservations as I entered this one.  I immediately didn't love the narrative style and voice, and found the time jumps jarring.  I wanted to know some more stuff about the characters before diving in to the main event, especially as I'd already landed on what the twist was.

I persevered and I'm glad.  The story became much more textured and complex, and the piecing together of events was satisfying.  By the end I felt convinced by the delivery of the story.

'The One' - Kiera Cass


Nope.

BUT: Some (unintentionally - or intentionally?  Not sure) hilarious scenes that made it all worth it.  I think.

'Okay For Now' - Gary D. Schmidt


Sob.  Sob sob.  If you've read 'Boy 21' and loved it, this book is for you!  Actually, this book is for anyone.   This book is so, so good.  I teared up plenty - really, really cared about/rooted for these characters, and found a gaping hole in my life when the last page was turned.

33/40

YA novels
Forest Born - Shannon Hale
Cinder - Marissa Meyer (read)
Scarlet - Marissa Meyer (read)
Cress - Marissa Meyer (reading)
If I Stay - Gayle Forman (read)
The Fault In Our Stars - John Green (read)
The Jewel - Amy Ewing (read)
The Selection - Kiera Cass (read)
The Elite - Kiera Cass (read)
The One - Kiera Cass (read)
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman (read)
Boy 21 - Matthew Quick (read)
Love Letters To The Dead - Ava Dellaira (read)
We Were Liars - E. Lockhart (read)
Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell
Okay For Now - Gary D. Schmidt

Contemporary/Adult lit
The Interestings - Meg Wolitzer (DNF)
Rules of Civility - Amor Towles
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (read)
One More Thing - BJ Novak (reading)
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

NZ fiction
(Middle Grade) The Volume of Possible Endings - Barbara Else (read)
Spark - Rachael Craw (read)

Non-Fiction
Is It Just Me? - Miranda Hart (read)
I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai

No comments:

Post a Comment