Thursday, January 8, 2015

On My Nightstand - Dec pt. 2

So I didn't quite make it.  But I gave it my best shot, and discovered some beautiful literature (particularly YA) along the way.  There were plenty of duds too.  All good.  I will post a top ten if I can narrow my fave titles down, and meanwhile here are the three I finished on:

'The Giver' - Lois Lowry


I really loved this one.  It's been recommended to me time and time again, but I still managed to enter in with no knowledge of the story, which was perfect.  This was a short read so not a huge commitment if you're unsure.  I'd recommend it to any reader.

'Under the Never Sky' - Veronica Rossi


This book was such a pleasant surprise.  I discovered 'Under the Never Sky' through Goodreads which has tended to be a little hit or miss for book recommendations, in the past.  This one was solid - likeable characters, a fun setting and a driving plot.  I felt as though the characters were quite a bit older than they were supposed to be which was a plus (since I am no longer 16, I guess).  I can't think of anything that I didn't like about it, actually.

'Through the Ever Night' - Veronica Rossi


I enjoyed this just as much as the first.  There is less of the sci-fi and more action/adventure.  Such fun, easy, summer reading.  Just waiting for book depos. to deliver the final part...

There are still plenty of books on my To Read list for 2015.  Thinking I might try for the same target, considering how fun it's been...

38/40

YA novels
Forest Born - Shannon Hale
Cinder - Marissa Meyer (read)
Scarlet - Marissa Meyer (read)
Cress - Marissa Meyer (reading)
If I Stay - Gayle Forman (read)
The Fault In Our Stars - John Green (read)
The Jewel - Amy Ewing (read)
The Selection - Kiera Cass (read)
The Elite - Kiera Cass (read)
The One - Kiera Cass (read)
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman (read)
Boy 21 - Matthew Quick (read)
Love Letters To The Dead - Ava Dellaira (read)
We Were Liars - E. Lockhart (read)
Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell
Okay For Now - Gary D. Schmidt (read)
Don't Look Back - Jennifer L. Armentrout (read)
The Giver - Lois Lowry (read)
Under the Never Sky - Veronica Rossi (read)
Through the Ever Night - Veronica Rossi (read)

Contemporary/Adult lit
The Interestings - Meg Wolitzer (DNF)
Rules of Civility - Amor Towles
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (read)
One More Thing - BJ Novak (read)
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

NZ fiction
(Middle Grade) The Volume of Possible Endings - Barbara Else (read)
Spark - Rachael Craw (read)

Non-Fiction
Is It Just Me? - Miranda Hart (read)
I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai

No comments:

Post a Comment