Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Mamacita - Havelock North



During our recent Hawkes Bay holiday we were treated to a meal at Mamacita, a Mexican restaurant based in the cute Havelock North.  I am a huge fan of Mexican cuisine, not to mention margaritas, so this was kinda the ultimate treat for us.



Mamacita's definitely has a relaxed vibe, with high quirk factor.  All mismatched and colourful and filled with fairy lights.  This is my favourite restaurant style, fyi.  Perfect for a cosy date night with my guy.






First up we ordered some Calamares (crispy, with a bite), quickly followed by Braised pulled pork quesadillas (delicious, but a little too spicy for my tastebuds), Gambos Cancun and De Pollo soft shelled tacos.  Hands down, best tacos everrrrrr.  They were doing a two-for-one taco thing (I heard the waitress say '2-4-1 Tuesday' so I'm guessing it's a regular thing), and honestly we could just have ignored the rest of the menu and ordered all the tacos. They were supreme.  I'm still dreaming bout the De Pollo (crispy chicken with jalapeƱo and coriander mayonnaise & toasted almonds).




Mamacita's margaritas came highly recommended, so we tried the Loco Rojo (black plums, lime juice and agave) and the Palermo Sunrise (campari, passionfruit and pink grapefruit).  Loco Rojo won my heart, but they were both pretty epic.



And even though we were pretty stuffed, we had to at least try one desert...  We ordered the agave and vanilla ice-cream (so good!) with fried chocolate and coco chimmi chunga.  No regrets.



Such a great dining experience; lovely staff (one asked me where I was from, assuming I was a tourist due to the excessive photo-taking - lol), epic food, and a warm, relaxed environment.  Recommend!


2 comments:

  1. This looks lovely - wish there was one in Aucks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I love that place! Went once on a date night with the hubs! We should def catch up next time you're down in the Bay xx

    ReplyDelete