Thursday, April 14, 2016

Book Review: Twenty Questions for Gloria by Martyn Bedford

Twenty Questions for Gloria by Martyn Bedford


Oh. So. Good.  Immediately good.  Through and through good.  For one thing, I love me a psychological thriller.  For another, this was so much more than that.  It was tender, raw, bittersweet.  It's kind of a thriller turned up on it's head...


Uman, the uber confident new kid is a total enigma.  He's kind of kid who is bound to turn Gloria's very ordinary life upside down.  Everything about Uman, his living circumstances, his behaviour, his background is deeply riveting.  I can see why Gloria was so drawn to him, he is interesting.

Their ensuing adventure, retold via police questioning (when only Gloria is returned) is beautiful, exhausting, exhilarating, intense.  The story itself is as absorbing as my feelings regarding Uman, which practically span the spectrum of feelings towards book characters.

The sense of unease that permeates the book keeps you on edge and turning pages.  I couldn't stop until I was done, and those are my very favourite kinds of books.  Bedford's writing is taut and beautiful, no word, no phrase out of place.  The imagery is vivid, the emotional detail strong.  I am a big, big fan of both the book and the author.

Twenty Questions for Gloria is published by Walker Books and available at all good bookstores (or here at The Book Depos).  I urge you to check it out!  I'm gonna check out this one by Bedford, I'm hoping it's just as good!

This book was supplied by Walker books in return for an honest review.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment