Friday, July 29, 2016

24 Hours in Auckland


Happy Saturday, y'all!  I'm SO happy to be here, that was one loooong week!  Getting back into the work routine is not easy, so I'm gonna take some time to reminisce about the adventure portion of our recent school break, starting with our speed-dating sesh with Auckland city...


We did things a little differently, this trip.  We were only passing through, so decided to stay in the city centre and do the downtown thing.  I honestly couldn't remember the last time I'd wandered Queen St, and realised pretty quickly that I still wasn't missing much... With a few sweet little exceptions.



We were traveling with friends, and really only had two activities in mind.  Taking the kids to the movies, and ice-skating in Aotea Square.  On the way we discovered the very cool City Farmers Market in Britomart, and later stopped in at Sal's for some New York Style pizza.



The iceskating was such a highlight for the kids, and I didn't fall over so that was a huge win! We also had a go on the ice slide which was some freaky action.  Can't say I loved it, personally, but I'm not much of an adrenaline junkie...  I didn't pee my pants, so we can call that another win.  We also spent a little time in the snow dome, which made up for the fact that we weren't heading to the actual snow this year.

Dinner was burgers at Better Burger on our way home.  They were definitely the food highlight of our entire holiday away (that and the pastries at Le Moulin Bakery in Wellington)...  I'm glad I pushed through the pain barrier and hauled my tired, pregnant butt to that little eaterie.



We stayed in Copthorne Auckland, which was tiny but comfortable, fairly cheap and located well.  Def nowhere near my favourite place to stay, but entirely adequate.  I have other accommodation recommendations if you're traveling to Auckland, though if you're on a tighter budget then Copthorne will suit you well.



That's it!  Iceskating and junk food, the perfect entree to our mid-winter holiday adventure :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment