Friday, September 16, 2016

Book Review :: Neffy and the Feathered Dinosaurs - Joe Lillington



"It was a very special day for Neffy the Microraptor - she would be taking her first flight.

But when Neffy spread her wings she didn't know what she was supposed to do! Will she learn in time to join her sisters and escape the predators on the ground?"

This is the ideal book for fact-collecting kiddos (age 4+), with a sweet little story that makes for perfect bedtime reading. 



My attention is constantly drawn to the fact that my kids have drastically different interests to mine as a kid.  It doesn't completely surprise me.  For instance, I was number five in a family of six, so books about big families (The All-of-a-Kind Family & The Family From One End Street) were where it was at.  I was all about dolls and babies, where my own two are irresistibly drawn to animals and natural science.

We've always encouraged and supplemented these interests, and already their knowledge of the animal kingdom far outstrips mine.  I'm learning with them (just slower and more forgetfully).  Bedtime stories are the perfect way for us to learn together, and the repeat reads definitely encourage facts to stick - for me, that is.  Books like Neffy and the Feathered Dinosaurs are an ideal fit for us, and Neffy is particularly great.  One part story, and one part supplementary non-fiction.  Both have huge appeal to kids who are fulllllllllll of questions, and as their parent and teacher, I'm happy too.


We read a lot of Magic School Bus round here, but I have an overwhelming preference for books like Neffy and the Feathered Dinosaurs.  Both beautifully presented and with far fewer puns.  And while the illustrations aren't necessarily my absolute favourite, they have character and perfectly suit the style of the book.  Neffy is very cute, too.


Neffy and the Feathered Dinosaurs is available now in hard cover, so check it out.

Review copy provided by Walker Books

No comments:

Post a Comment