Thursday, December 8, 2016

Book Review :: My Lady Jane



"A comical, fantastical and witty re-imagining of the Tudor world, perfect for fans of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Lady Jane Grey, sixteen, is about to be married to a total stranger - and caught up in an insidious plot to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But that's the least of Jane's problems. She's about to become Queen of England. Like that could go wrong."

I was super eager to read/review this book following a recommendation by this bookish gal (who has never yet led me astray).  It exceeded my expectations!  I saved it up, and I savoured it.  In fact, I was so dreading finishing, that I put off doing so for several weeks.  I wanted, needed to know what would happen but I couldn't bear seeing so few pages left, didn't want that empty #bookfinished feeling to arrive (at least until I had adequate back up).  I considered whether starting over again right away would help, but this book was such a delightful (and I rarely use that word) surprise, I need time and distance before my first reread, that it may delightfully surprise me all over again.


My Lady Jane has three POVs, each penned by a separate author.  They are delicious characters, and the minor characters are just as fun.  Absurdly, I found myself wishing that this was the true historical account of Lady Jane Grey and her cohort.  A much nicer, and much, much funnier alternate reality. #siiiiiiiiigh

This novel is probably-definitely not for everyone, but it totally floated my boat.  If you've read some Phillipa Gregory, but also love flamboyant British humour (think Black Adder, with a twist of Monty Python and just a touch of Miranda), then order this book asap.  Also recommended for fans of The Princess Bride, and I would suggest that Fielding, Rennison and Austen readers would enjoy it too - for the comedy esp.

Perhaps my top pick for 2016 reading (snap).  I know my mum, sisters, nieces, and a wide selection of friends would adore this book too.  I want more.  I hope this trio of writers offer up another book or three.  I want to watch the movie, nay, TV series (so many great one-liners).  If you're in need of some fresh comedy this summer, treat. yo'. self.

Review copy kindly provided by Walker Books

No comments:

Post a Comment