Thursday, December 15, 2016

Book Review :: Penguin Problems - Jory John and Lane Smith

Penguin Problems - Written by Jory John and illustrated by Lane Smith


"Little Penguin has problems: his beak is cold; there s snow everywhere; the water smells salty; he waddles; he looks the same as everybody else. No it s not easy being a Penguin!"

Clever and cute, Penguin Problems is also super relevant.  It's the children's book equivalent to #firstworldproblems, with little penguin guy complaining about literally everything.  He's the modern day equivalent of Eeyore, but somebody is about to set him straight!  Because Penguin Dude, life is so good!



Admittedly this is probably not my favourite children's book, but not because I don't appreciate the message.  I really love the message, and it's never too early to teach little ones appreciation and gratitude, especially when so many have so little.  I just didn't find it especially fun reading Penguin's complaints aloud.  It was just as annoying as hanging out with a complainer, funnily enough.  The punchline bummed me out too.  Just, too real.  <<  Look at me, complaining.  #irony


I can think of a bunch of peeps who would totally appreciate the humour though, so I'll be recommending it to them.  It's available in bookstores now, so you can check it out and decide for yourselves.  The question is, are you the penguin, or the walrus?  Or, the orca.  Pretty sure I'm the orca.  :-/

Review copy kindly provided by Walker Books

No comments:

Post a Comment