Saturday, September 9, 2017

Book Review / DNF

When Dimple Met Rishi - Sandhya Menon

"Will opposites attract when Dimple meets Rishi? A laugh-out-loud, heartfelt YA romantic comedy, told in alternating perspectives. The arranged marriage YA romcom you didn't know you wanted or needed..."
I was pretty surprised to find this book was not for me.  The cover, the blurb, I totally figured I was gonna dig it.  I checked out at about 60%.  Part of me thinks I need to pick it up again at some stage and finish it, the other part of me is like, 'life's too short to spend on books that don't float ya boat, yo'.

For starters, I wasn't feeling love for the protag.  She quite quickly got on my nerves and progressively annoyed me as I read.  I think her feistiness could easily read differently to others, but for me it was a drag.  I was a little more invested in the love interest, but he was often just too sugar-sweet - the actual opposite of Dimple.

Much of the novel is built around the tension between Dimple and Rishi, it just wasn't enough for me.  I didn't especially care whether they were gonna get together or not.  I was curious about how things would play out with their app-building comp, but not enough to stay the course.  I really wanted so much more!  I feel like this novel had all the elements to build something I would love, but just.  Didn't.

I liked things.  There were some nice descriptions of San Francisco, all foggy and city lights and such.  I also really loved the cultural element and the tug-of-war around the (proposed) arranged marriage.  I think more books should be set in the university/college context, too.  Additional descriptions of uni life would've been fun.

I think Menon is a promising author and will definitely try other works of hers.  Dimple might not have won me over, but I'm gonna keep an eye out for what Menon produces next.

Before you go, read Angela's review, for a rounded picture of what's up with Dimple and Rishi...

Review copy kindly provided by Hachette

No comments:

Post a Comment